Monday 7 March 2016

Shortcut


Traffic can be very bad here at times, especially on Monday mornings. I was spending way too much time (and fuel) stuck in traffic getting to my friend’s house, from where we would carpool to work.
So, Kiwi initiative in full swing, I went to the internet cafe and printed off a Google map of my area. From this, I identified a way to skirt around the congested roads.

Off I went.

Good start. So far I am where I want to be. Hmm, road has become a dirt road and has now become a cul de sac. Turn around. Ahh, back on track again.

Hold on. Road has come to a dead end again. Oh well. Turn around. Here we go! This is the right road.

Riiight, road has sort of dwindled and I am now in a compound (poorer area) with terribly pot-holed dirt roads and a lot of people starting at me. Very little other traffic and definitely no other foreigners. Nothing for it but to plough bravely on.


A ha! Sealed road. And I recognise where I am. I’ve done it! Very proud of myself. And I have saved a whole 2 minutes’ driving time. I am my grandmother’s grandchild.

1 comment:

  1. Yes. Gran would have been very proud of you for this (among a million other things! )

    ReplyDelete