Thursday 17 March 2016

A beginner’s guide to a Zambian wedding


A wedding can take many forms here. There are lots of different possible ceremonies and events. Somehow we have ended up doing ALL of them.

Amongst it all there is a lot of gift and money exchanging, speeches, dancing and eating. The overall intention seems to be to prepare the bride and groom, and also to create trust and respect between the two families. I think this is really nice, although I have strongly disagreed with a lot of the advice I have been given (the real low point being that I need to be sexually available to my husband any time and anyhow, otherwise he will find himself a girlfriend). NB: this is NOT true of Atkins. If it were, I would not be marrying him.

We are also both uncomfortable with the emphasis on the woman having to prove her worth through cooking and obedience, but have decided that it is important for us to experience all of this. We can still shape our marriage the way we want to, but doing all of this earns us a great deal of respect from our Zambian family and community, and gives us a real insight to the culture that we would never get otherwise.

Bana chimbusa and ba shibukombe
These are the female and male elders that myself and Atkins meet one-on-one with to be prepared for marriage. It’s not appropriate for me to share the secrets here, but for me they focused on ‘the bedroom’.

Chilanga mulilo.
This literally means ‘showing fire’. This where the woman and her family show the man’s family that she can cook, and also to show the man and his family what he will be eating in his married life. Ladies from the school I initially worked at, and some friends of theirs, very kindly did this for me. It ended up being a BIG occasion with a huge amount of food, including chicken, nshima, beans and local vegetable dishes. I contributed meatballs, macaroni cheese and lemon muffins.

Also part of the day for me was drumming and dancing, and being shown how to cook nshima. The food was taken to Atkins and his family on a truck with all the women singing and drinking beer. It was pretty epic!

Kitchen party (or in my case a slightly smaller event we are calling a bridal shower)
Traditionally, this is where the bride is given everything she needs to set up her kitchen. Details of mine to come.

The actual wedding

Some people do the church/reception version, others do something very small and traditional. Details of ours also to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment