Monday 14 March 2016

Louis Louis, Oh Oh.

"Have you ever kept a dog?"

"Yes, why?

"I have just put one on the grass. What should I do with it?"

This was my lovely neighbour who had just rescued a very injured stray dog who had apparently been beside the road for 3 days and was getting badly attacked by other dogs. He had probably been run over.

I am not really an animal lover, but as soon as I saw him, I was in love. And, like you should never do, I named him. Louis.

He was in a bad way, not able to move and not interested in food or water. As the day progressed, he began to perk up, and had a fried egg and some water. By morning, he was chirpy as.

There was clearly something wrong with his back legs, so I took him to the vet. They all fell in love too. He had an x-ray and things began to look pretty bad. Both his hips were totally destroyed, unbelievable considering how happy he seemed to be. The pain must have been horrendous. They also discovered he was a very old dog, around 15 years old. In the end, there was nothing for it but to put him down. Myself, the vet and my family at home who were being updated live on whatsapp were all in tears.

So here's to you Louis. You would have been the coolest dog ever to have as a pet.





1 comment: