Tuesday 16 February 2016

The best things I brought

I travelled here with a BIG suitcase. What I have discovered to be the star performers in there are:
  • -          Edmond’s cookbook
  • -          2 small Victorinox knives
  • -          Ciproflaxin antibiotic – nothing can withstand it!
  • -          Pawpaw ointment
  • -          Photos and postcards of New Zealand to show people
  • -          Earl Gray and herbal tea - very expensive here
  • -          Peppercorns – also surprisingly expensive here
  • -          My laptop with my music, photos, movies and yoga/meditation guides
  • -          Tampons. Very hard to get here. Poor ladies.
  • -          My adult (that means grown-up not R18) colouring in book [although just last week I noticed that these have now arrived here]

I do laugh at what I brought with me the first time I came here. Among other things, I brought: hand sanitiser, moisturiser, razors, envelopes and an umbrella, all of which it is very possible to get here (no really – not all Africans live in huts in villages. There are supermarkets! And shopping malls! Who knew? J The way the West views the developing world I guess.).

I did forget marmite though. Disaster! And I can’t find coconut milk or chickpeas.


P.S. very few people use chopping boards here. They somehow perfectly (and injury-free) cut onions, tomato, cabbage etc. holding the vegetable in one hand and a knife in the other! Tried it. Failed. Bought a chopping board.

1 comment:

  1. A round of applause for Ciprofloxaxin. ..agree totally!And Edmond's would be delighted!

    ReplyDelete