Wednesday 30 December 2015

A beginner’s guide to the sounds of Lusaka


  • A repeated, metallic squeak. This is someone trying to get their brazier going (because there is no power again). See photo.
  • A cow bell. It’s not a cow. It’s the ice cream man on his bicycle!
  •  Crazed barking, usually at night. Full moon or not, the dogs in Lusaka (which from my auditory observations must number in the thousands) bark all night. There may be a moment of silence, before one starts barking again and they all join in. Don’t worry – with time it becomes soothing. Sort of.
  • Meeeeeeeeeeeee. Mosquito. I hope you are sleeping under a net. If you are, you will feel a sense of victory at knowing that the mosquito cannot get you.
  • Crash. Or rather CRASH!!!!!!! Like the sound of an horrendous car accident. This is a ripe mango falling from the tree onto our ceiling-less, corrugated iron roof. It is the sound of free, labour-less deliciousness.
  • Yay!!!!!! This is me and Atkins celebrating that there is power and water on AT THE SAME TIME. Bliss!
  •  Thunderous thunder. You can feel it in your bones. This is one of the magnificent thunderstorms we get. I adore them.
  • Swish, swish, swish. People sweeping. Sweeping their house, or porch, or yard. With the best brooms in the whole world! Just straw-like sticks tied together. Why don’t we have these in New Zealand? Please customs, may I bring some home with me? Because I really enjoy sweeping when I have one of these.



Best broom ever!
Getting the brazier going

No comments:

Post a Comment